Suggestions    |    Careers    |    FAQs    |   

Home > Customs Procedures > Travelers > Transferring Residence to Bahrain / Personal Effects
Bahrain Events
««December - 2018»»
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31          
Today      Events
Transferring Residence to Bahrain / Personal Effects

If you are transferring residence to Bahrain, your personal effects and used household articles may be exempted from customs duty. However duty will be levied on the import of motor vehicles, alcohol and Tobacco products.
Duty exemption on personal effects and used household items are subject to the following conditions:

  1. The declarant satisfied customs that:
    • He is changing his place of residence to Bahrain
    • He is the owner of the items and effects imported
    • The items and effects have been in his possession and used for a period of at least 3 months
  2. The items and effects are imported into Bahrain within 6 months of his arrival
  3. The person undertakes not to dispose of the items and effects within 3 months from the date of importation of the articles and effects
  4. Multiple importations are not permitted



On notification by the Shipping, Airline or Forwarding agent, the owner will have to arrange with a local Clearing agent to submit a Customs Declaration for the personal effects/household items.

As evidence of transfer of residence, the owner should in addition submit:

  1. Copy of Passport
  2. Employment/Work permit
  3. Residency/entry permit
  4. Bill of Lading/Airway bill 

If the work permit is still being processed by relevant authority, Customs will accept the owner furnishing a letter from his employer confirming his employment.


Dutiable Items

Duty exemption is not applicable to alcohol, tobacco products and motor vehicles. If such items are included in the consignment of personal effects, the owner must inform the Clearing Agent who must declare these on the import declaration.